King Edward (VII) School
In 1902 when the South African War came to an end there was an urgent need for schools in the Transvaal. The Milner Administration, looking round for suitable buildings in which to establish temporary classrooms, found a vacant cigar factory on the corner of Gold and Kerk Streets in Johannesburg and there established "The Government High School for Boys", also known as the "Johannesburg High School for Boys". Thus was born a school that was to ultimately to become the renowned King Edward VII School. It grew so rapidly that in 1904 it was moved to Barnato Park where it was established in the mansion that originally had been designed for Barney Barnato, the mining millionaire.
Here it was known as "Johannesburg College". But these premises soon proved inadequate and in 1911 the school was finally moved to a new site on the Houghton ridge where magnificent buildings had been specially designed for the school, and it became the School's new home. All this came about shortly after the founding of the Union of South Africa and the death of King Edward VII, Queen Victoria's eldest son. To honour his memory the school was granted the right to change its name to King Edward VII School.
The School recently celebrated its centenary, in 2002. This celebration represents a century of "Tradition with Excellence" and the entrance into a new millennium and another hundred years of School history!Donald Gordon matriculated from KES in 1947 and has supported his old school over the years.
In 1997 The Donald Gordon Foundation purchased the property adjacent to Buxton House for the purpose of increasing the boarding capacity of the school. Gordon House was thus born. This year there are 56 boarders in the house and so far the house has turned-out over 200 Gordon boys'.
In addition The Donald Gordon Foundation awards various bursaries and scholarships at KES and subvents the salaries of teachers of mathematics at the school.